The by-laws for the Twilight Theatre were last amended on November 10, 2014. There were some significant issues with the previous by-laws – one of them being the language didn’t allow for hired staff to perform the duties required. The By-Laws Committee reviewed the by-laws over a two-month period and made the following recommendations:
• Allow Board Members to reside in Kiowa or any of its contiguous counties
• The new Twilight Theatre & Community Auditorium must serve a regional audience and will not thrive long-term without the support of our neighboring communities.
• Membership dues will be collected at the rate of $50 per person annually. Lifetime memberships will be honored if acquired before November 10th, 2014.
• Annual memberships promote continued engagement with the voting membership and will help our long-term success. Lifetime memberships are not a standard practice in growth-oriented nonprofits. The Twilight must work to encourage ongoing support, invite new members and new ideas, and rely on an active membership to propel the organization into the future.
• Limit the size of the board and allow the elected board to appoint two additional directors. Appointed directors must be a) a CPA or individual with a background in finance or b) an attorney or licensed legal counselor.
• The Twilight Board will consist of at least five and not exceed seven directors. A smaller board allows the organization to make decisions quickly and efficiently. Boards with too many members can lead to less engagement of individual directors and slow down staff’s ability to take action. Giving the board the ability to appoint a qualified CPA or attorney fulfills a major need for our organization: oversight, analysis and review of contracts protects the organization.
The Board of Directors also amended the language to allow for the hiring of an Executive Director and to give this individual the authority to perform certain duties.